Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Experiences On The Florida Trail - Update!


1/2/2011

What can I say about today...Holy Cow!!! I have hiked mountains and lots of trails but the first day of the Florida Trails is a BEAST. Imagine hiking 8 miles in knee deep water over sharp limestone, through clay mud that sucks at your feet...and a beating sun for 7 hours and you would have a good idea about the trail today!!

It sounds bad...and it was but you have to take the good with the bad. I saw beautiful plains with saw grass and cypress tress. I felt cool water on my feet and saw foliage which I had never seen before. I felt the accomplishment of finishing a hard days hike and the sweetness of my sleeping back as I lay in it now.

We are hiking with some amazing people so far and I am sure in the future they will make a difference in my experience on the trail.

A hiker named Max joined us. He was very humble about his journey hiking, he echoed my sore legs and made it so funny.

I will try to write more things on that matter but I am beat and ready for bed :)

Love, Bridge

1/3/2011

Well today was another great day. We started from the Oasis Visitor Center where we ended yesterday. It has been a much dryer day today than it was yesterday. We were anticipating water and mud like yesterday but had all dry trails.It was like I expected the Florida Trail to look like.

It was a great day with great people. Natalie is doing great. She is so positive. She works hard and pushes through things. I am thankful to have her with me.

We got to 10 Mile Camp today at 2pm because It was so dry and had a great time talking and laughing. There are a bunch of older guys who have hiked a lot.

We were joined by Zipp Off, Bushwaker, Sparkey, and Needles.

You know I love how interesting all the hikers are. all come out for different reasons and stay for different reasons as well.

I am thankful for all the people I have met on the trail so far. It has only been 2 days and it's already changing me.

Yours Always,Bridge

1/5/2011

The past two days have been something else. It has been a heck of a lot of water. It has been hour after hour of mud and knee deep water. It was like walking on the sand that i right on the water shore while you feet are getting sucked in and fighting for the mud to release you but :) it was the hardest hiking I have ever done and it was also the hardest any8 of the other hikers have done and they have also hiked long distances. It was funny. After mile 8 yesterday on route and mile after mile of water and mud Natalie and I and the rest of the hikers were taking one step at a time. I was trying to be positive the whole way because Natalie was having a hard time trying to get to camp but it was hard. There was little better than seeing the Old Oak Camp Ground. It was a great revisit to the lesson I learned on the Appellation Trail which was that no matter how hard a hike is that it will not last forever. "This to shall pass" echoed through my ears and helped me make it. I am so thankful for this experience It is a good thing to see what you are really made of. I felt each time I pushed past "my wall" that my character grew. What I knew I could do grew everyday.

Now we finished where the trail crests, the I74 rest stop. It was a welcomed site. It was little more than wonderful to get a cold Diet Dr. Pepper and some combos...It was as tasty as a $100 meal.

As our friends showed up from the trail we cheered them in. A hiker "Max" - Phil is ex-military and he has been trudging through having a bit of a problem but he made it. It inspires me when I see people who are not just sore but really struggling to be thankful I can move forward.

It is a magical thing to be out here, challenging yourself, meeting people who are doing the same and just figuring things out. My mind is more clear because life is so simplified. I am getting answers to a ot of questions I had been pondering on.

Thank you for the prayers and love.

Love, Bridgette.


2 comments:

  1. This is so great bridgette! I am so happy that you are doing this. What a great experience, you have to be really strong to do something like this. Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the florida trail! We hike various parts of it all the time.

    ReplyDelete