Monday, January 18, 2010

When the student is ready, the master appears.













My Dears,

Why is the trip home always feel so much longer than the trip going? I felt like the drive from GA was twice as long...I did get to finish the Hobbit by J. R. Tolkien on my rest stops:) On to the next book. I am going to try to make some time to read even though school started.

In the first picture on the left you will see Brenda and Tom. They are a 60 year old couple who just retired as professors at a university in Alabama and started their thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail Jan.1st. They we so interesting. Everyone in their lives thought they were crazy but they prepared as best they could and then moved forward as it was what they wanted to do. They are taking it one day at a time and enjoying the journey. I am excited for them and will keep an eye on their Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=288300).

Just being on the trail a couple of days reminded me of what a challenge it is to climb the GA mountains especially and how much love and support I send to those starting. I am different these 9 month later and I wonder what it would be like to start my hike again and pending any disasters make it to Khatadin. That thought is for another day:)

It was a peaceful Sunday which is always a great Sunday to have. I did not go hiking yesterday as it was the Sabbath. I headed home in the late afternoon with the intent to stop at the brown historical signs I saw as I headed home. I found this state park off the interstate just south of Atlanta. It was a dammed river that had a falls which you see behind me. Outside the visitors center/registration office I sat on an Adirondack style swinging bench and read and listened to the water. It was calming and nice to get out of the car into the breeze even though it was a little chilly.


It is good to be home, I feel happy to be home. This is where I am supposed to be. It is a great experience to step out and do something that although is difficult, the experience trumps all. The quote in the title of this entry is a old Eastern proverb and it is so true. To go hiking makes me simplify my life. All I need is on my back. I am walking where I need to go. There are few distractions so my mind is free to think about those things I have gotten to busy to ponder. That is why I like the quote. I am open to learning when I go, these time on trails Heavenly Father comes to me in my heart and mind and opens up answers to questions I have had and shows me questions I did not know I had. Amazing!!!

Thanks for all your support you guys:)

Bridge (AKA) Brighty...my old trail name:)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I changed my address: www.markandkaraneth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are living the dream! I love reading about it!

    ReplyDelete